All aboard for UO!
Academic Bicycle Challenge (ABC), a new international cycling competition for universities
The ABC wants to put in competition the most active higher education institutions in cycling around the world. The University of Orleans will join the ABC in October 2021. Together, we can prove that we are also great at cycling!
We warmly invite you to ride your bike as often as possible for a month, for your fitness and for the protection of the climate by reducing your carbon footprint!
Accumulate miles for your team and for our university! It doesn't matter if you cycle in your free time or on your way to the university. All your trips will be recorded, but not shared!
The concept was developed by the Fachhochschule Münster / University of Applied Sciences of Münster, a city twinned with Orléans Métropole. This twinning between the 2 cities will be honored in 2021 its 61st anniversary.
How does it work?
Activate ABC participation in the application settings.
2 | Join the Team Université d'Orléans.
3 | Cycle and record your trips.
This way, you collect miles for yourself, for your team, for your academic discipline and for our University of Orleans. You will see the effect at any time in the rankings available in the application. The suspense is mounting, day after day. Who will be the most active?
All students and staff of the University of Orléans are invited to participate. The ABC will run for 30 days, from October 1 to 30, 2021.
Rankings and additional information : www.go-abc.org
ABC rules for participants
1. At participating universities the Academic Bicycle Challenge (ABC) takes place from day 1 to day 30 of one selected month between May and November.
2. A participant has to select his or her university when he or she participates in the ABC. Cycled trips of the participant, tracked with the Naviki app, will then count for the selected university.
3. A participant has to select the academic discipline she or he belongs to. Trips cycled by the participant will then also count for the selected discipline.
4. Participants can set up user-created teams. The minimum number of participants for a user-created team is 5, the maximum number is 10. Each participant can join one team. Valid recorded trips then also count for the team. The latest opportunity for changing team membership is one week before the end of the active period (changing or leaving a team is impossible after day 23 of the active month).
5. Participants can collect miles/kilometres for their university, discipline and team wherever they cycle. In order to make sure that only cycled trips count, the following filters apply on recorded trips: average speed ≤ 30 km/h, maximum speed ≤ 45 km/h, length ≤ 100 km.
6. In case a participant enters the ABC after the ABC started, all trips recorded with the Naviki app before participating (but after the start of the ABC) count if they pass the above mentioned filters.
7. All kinds of bicycles are allowed: owned or rented, shared, electric, cargo bikes etc.
8. Valid trips count wherever they were cycled. They are not restricted to a specific city or region.
9. To ensure fair play, on suspicion of cheating the ABC coordinators can check accordant trips. The ABC coordinators have the right to exclude trips that they consider to be fake or questionable and to exclude participants from the ABC who cheat or behave unfair.
If you participate in the Academic Bicycle Challenge in the ways described above, you agree with the following statement:
I am aware that beemo GmbH (spin off enterprise of Münster University Applied Sciences) process all personal data transmitted and protected in accordance with the provisions of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation, OJ L 119, 4.5.2016, p. 1-88). I am aware that my personal data will be processed by employees of the aforementioned enterprise, who are by function or the workplace authorized to do so.
FAQ (version anglaise)
Maintenance of your bike
During this challenge and from September 30th, the association « 1TerreActions » will offer you free diagnostic and small repairs free of charge every Thursday between noon and 2:00 pm in the science amphitheatre of the UFR Sciences et Techniques, IUT45... on the campus of Orléans La Source .